Nitrous Oxide/Laughing Gas
Some children are anxious before dental appointments and are given nitrous oxide/oxygen, or what you may know as laughing gas, to help them relax for their dental treatment. Nitrous oxide/oxygen is a blend of two gases, oxygen and nitrous oxide. Nitrous oxide/oxygen is given through a small breathing mask which is placed over the child’s nose, allowing them to relax, but without putting them to sleep. The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry, recognizes this technique as a very safe, effective technique to use for treating children’s dental needs. The gas is mild, easily taken, and quickly eliminated from the body. It is non-addictive, and while inhaling nitrous oxide/oxygen, your child remains fully conscious and keeps all natural reflexes. For safety reasons, we will be unable to use nitrous oxide on children with severe respiratory disorders or concerns.
There are many advantages to using Nitrous Oxide
- The depth of sedation can be altered at any time to increase or decrease sedation.
- There is no after effect such as a “hangover”.
- Inhalation sedation is safe with no side effects on your heart and lungs, etc.
- Inhalation sedation is very effective in minimizing gagging.
- It works rapidly as it reaches the brain within 20 seconds. In as little as 2-3 minutes its relaxation and pain killing properties develop.